26 July 2010

a close encounter of the junk kind




Last week Friday, my son and I were on the way to the metro station when I spotted three children's chairs on the sidewalk. The apartment above was being remodeled, and unwanted things were being thrown out.

Oh, how I wanted, really wanted, those chairs. They were charmingly dented and beat up, with the paint peeling off and the metal parts slightly rusty. But we had to catch the metro and be somewhere in 30 minutes, and I didn't have time to take them back to our apartment. A dump truck slowly pulled up as we walked away, and I pretended not to see it.

I looked for the chairs when we returned a few hours later, but they weren't there any more (hope never killed anyone). I am imagining that someone "found" them and took them home, cleaned them up and gave them a new environment where they can just, well, sit and look pretty.

No comments: