24 January 2011

organic beauty



 

I'm a sucker for medallion designs on furniture. When I saw this armoire in a store in Vieux Lyon a few weeks ago, I fell in love with it instantly. The armoire itself is very simple, with no elaborate details other than this medallion, which is just the way I like it. It's from the 1920s, one of the proprietresses of the store told me.

The shop is owned by a mother-and-daughter pair. The daughter speaks very good English -- she told me that she restores and refurbishes old furniture, and her mother is in charge of the finishing touches like staining and painting.

This armoire is thoughtfully and sensitively refurbished, especially inside. All working parts move beautifully without anything getting stuck or making squeaking noises. There is a crack on the side, but it doesn't affect the armoire's functionality, and I honestly don't mind it.


The store sells smaller things as well, and it's a delightful gem of a shop. If you're in Lyon and make it there, do go downstairs and look at the beautiful antique cradle. I was told that it can be rented.

 
21 Rue du Boeuf
69005 Lyon

 

No comments: