20 May 2011

early morning on Île de la Cité




I had not slept much the day before, so I thougth I'd sleep in. But the church bell ringing a few blocks away woke me up at 6 a.m., and I thought, "Might as well get up and walk around."


I'm glad I did. Streets were quiet, tourists weren't out yet (except for this one), and I got to see the city's elegant apartment buildings slowly waking up, bathed in gentle morning light.







I wanted to sit on a bench at Square Jean-XXIII, but it was too early and the park gates were still closed. I had to laugh. I crossed the bridge to Île Saint-Louis, and after walking around some more, found a little cafe and went in.






A pot of Darjeeling tea to warm me up (it was overcast and a bit chilly) and a fluffy croissant to fill me up (20% air, 80% butter).

My friends in the U.S. and Japan all think I'm living a dream. I think I can see why now.





4 comments:

Kitchen M said...

Let's switch houses for a week. :D

cocopuff1212 said...

■Kitchen M,
Brilliant idea!

Amy said...

your photographs are beautiful. makes me want to go to Paris again, asap! xo amy

cocopuff1212 said...

■Amy,
You're sweet! Thank you.